Your perfect Destination Wedding in Tuscany
A magical place for a relaxed and informal wedding in Tuscany
If you are hoping to have a destination wedding in Tuscany, then you might want to consider a Tuscan wedding at Podere Patrignone. Patrignone weddings are relaxed and friendly, with plenty of excellent food and amazing wine served under the stars, followed by dancing by torch-light, maybe even some fireworks...who knows? It really is up to you, and your imagination.
But if you have your heart set on a large, formal, choreographed event, the Patrignone is probably not for you; there are many impressive venues in Tuscany so much more glam than our humble 14th-century farmhouse.
We host two weddings every year, and although they are a lot of work for us, they are fantastic fun and we love doing them.
Here is some basic information to help you decide if Podere Patrignone is the right destination for your wedding in Tuscany:
- The ideal Podere Patrignone Tuscan Wedding is between 15 and 50 people.
- We can sleep between 30 and 33 in the Villa and 5 apartments, 15 double bedrooms in total, each with a private en-suite bathroom. There are other agriturismi and B&B's nearby so you can more guests if you need it.
- There is a minimum rental period of 6 nights for Patrignone weddings. This can be flexible depending on the time of year, but it is better to think longer rather than shorter; it will give you and your guests more time to have fun together and be touched by the magic of the setting. In our experience, a week is perfect. Wedding weeks should be planned on a Saturday-Saturday basis.
- There is also a minimum number of rooms you can hire: 9 rooms in the Spring and Autumn, 12 rooms during summer months.
- We are in a beautiful rural location with stunning panoramic views in every direction, an amazing backdrop for your amazing Wedding Day (and not bad for your photos either).
- We do all the catering ourselves from the highest quality homegrown produce and locally-sourced ingredients. The Wedding Banquet includes 10 courses of traditional Tuscan cuisine starting at around €85/head, served on our Terracotta Terrazza with its amazing sunset views. (If the weather is poor, we can use our 17th-century indoor restaurant in the Old Frantoio, but this hasn't happened in 10 years).
- You pay us for your accommodation rental costs, plus a one-off hosting fee of €3950 (2019-20 rate) for renting the Villa's facilities on the day, plus any catering, wine, equipment rental etc.
- Most couples get legally married in a Civil Ceremony nearby - the paperwork is not especially difficult - or you can have a symbolic ceremony instead.
Things to think about if you are planning a wedding in Tuscany
Here are some practical considerations:
- You should start the process at least three months in advance to complete the paperwork. But your biggest issue is finding a suitable venue and accommodation. We often take bookings as much as 2 years in advance, so you can't start the process too soon if you have your heart set on a particular venue.
- You two will need to be here a couple of days in advance to sort out your Italian paper-work, but apart from that, additional trips here are not absolutely necessary, though a 'reckie' always helps. In half the Tuscan weddings we host, the Bride and Groom have never been to Patrignone before.
- We can help you organise the paperwork, book the ceremony, and do the job of the Official Translator of the ceremony on the day. We can also book music/disco/bands etc. during the ceremony and back here afterwards. The fee for this help will vary depending on how much you need, but budget on around €900 + expenses for the basics (paper-work, booking the ceremony, translation). If you want to get married in the Siena Registry office (in the Palazzo Publico on the Piazza del Campo, a really stunning and dramatic venue) or in the medieval castle in Castellina in Chianti (closer, and also very pretty). We can book either for you and liaise with the local Comune (town council).
- If you are planning anything more complex (such as organising a church service, marquees, etc.), you should think about hiring a wedding planner and we will happily liaise with them.
- Don't over-invite in the hope that some will say no. You are planning a wedding in a beautiful, sunny place, steeped in history, culture and awash with great wine and food. Would you say no?
A reasonable budget for a beautiful but simple wedding for 30 might be:
|Cost of ceremony in Siena||€ 1000|
|Classical guitarist or disco||€ 250|
|Italian-side paperwork expenses *||€ 200|
|Arrangement, liaison, translation||€ 900|
|Accommodation bride and groom **||€ 1110|
|Hosting fee for reception||€ 3950|
|Reception meal (30 heads)||€ 2550|
|Wine and Prosecco budget||€ 300|
* this is an estimate and will depend on the rules and regulations at the time
** other accommodation is often paid for by the guests themselves
There may be additional things to consider, like a rehearsal dinner/pizza, an evening torch-lit party under the stars, the wedding clothes, fireworks, rings, hair, flowers, photographers, transport, a wedding cake (or two), decorations, and so on, but we can help you do as much or as little of these as you like, with no additional pressure from us.
The important thing is that you get the day you want, no more no less. And you know what? In our experience, most couples married here believe they got all they ever wanted, and more, and for a great deal less money than they would have paid at home.
If you’d like to learn more, drop us a line and let’s have a chat.
Frequently asked questions about your Tuscany Wedding
- Why do we need to rent the whole place? Most people who come to Patrignone looking for relaxation, peace and tranquillity. Wedding parties are a huge celebration. We have learned that the two just don't mix. If you have the whole of Patrignone to yourselves, you can do whatever you like (within reason) and not worry about anyone else.
- Why do you charge a 'Hosting Fee' for weddings in addition to the accommodation rental? Because weddings are a huge amount of additional work for us over and above our normal duties as hosts. Don't get me wrong - we do love weddings. But we can't do many of them because they are so exhausting, both mentally and physically. Our work starts the moment you book, when we prepare cloud-based action lists and budget spreadsheets to help plan your wedding. We have regular Skype chats with you to keep the organisation process on-track, and that means you won't need an expensive wedding planner. Then we have to get the place looking beautiful for your Big Day. Trust me - we earn that fee several times over.
- Is it much harder getting married in Italy than at home? It depends where home is and your nationality. For example, it's relatively straight-forward to get married in Italy if you're European, or you are from the USA or Canada. The Italians have made things relatively easy for most groups, so don't be put off by the paperwork. It's a few hours work for you at most.
- Will it be much more expensive than a wedding at home? Of course, that depends on the wedding, but generally speaking, the answer is "no". Assuming your guests pay for their travel and accommodation, then it is hard to imagine a wedding in more beautiful surroundings, with such great food, for any money, never mind a budget of around €10k. Even if you pay for all the accommodation, a Patrignone wedding will probably be half the cost of a wedding at home.
- How far in advance do I need to book...how late can I leave it? You only need to leave around 3 months from the time you decide to get married. We've organised and held lovely weddings here on just such time-scales. But we generally take bookings around 12-18 months in advance. So I would say you should try and get your venue and accommodation sorted out at least 1 year in advance. If in doubt, drop us a line.
- What about other stuff...like flowers, photographers, hair-stylists, etc? We have lots of local contacts we can put you in touch with, or organise your behalf. We charge you an hourly rate for additional planning services, usually €40/hour, and we can set a maximum limit on this if you wish. You get regular reports on our progress in the form of a detailed budget sheet and action list. We can have regular meetings via Skype so that we all know where we are at any given time. It really is very easy.
- What about same-sex weddings? These are not legally binding in Italy but we are happy to help you plan a symbolic celebration or a renewal of your vows.
- How much do we pay, and when? As soon as you book you'll need to be prepared to pay a deposit on the accommodation costs. We'll work out a payment plan together, and come up with a payment schedule that suits you.
The wedding of Olivia & Steve - USA 2014